Providing safe, affordable and high performing propulsion for spacecraft
Aerojet Rocketdyne is developing propulsion systems to utilize high-performance “green” propellants. Green propulsion systems are an alternative to conventional chemical propulsion systems that use hydrazine propellants for a variety of applications, including next-generation launch vehicles and spacecraft.
Higher Performance: Green propellants offer 50 percent higher performance over a traditional hydrazine propulsion system, due to its higher density and higher specific impulse (Isp). It also has a lower freezing point, requiring less spacecraft power to maintain its temperature.
Safer Operations: Green propellants are easier to handle and, therefore, lower cost to integrate and fuel for operation.
Green Propellant Infusion Mission: Aerojet Rocketdyne is the primary payload provider of a demonstration propulsion system for the Green Propellant Infusion Mission (GPIM). GPIM will demonstrate on-orbit use of green propellants.
CubeSat Propulsion Systems: Aerojet Rocketdyne is leveraging lessons from the GPIM program and its additive manufacturing efforts to develop a low-cost propulsion system for CubeSats using green propellants. CubeSats today typically lack propulsion, leaving them with limited ability to maneuver or maintain orbit. Aerojet Rocketdyne’s modular propulsion systems cover a range of propulsion module sizes from 1U to 8U offering up to 750 m/sec delta-v capability. Aerojet Rocketdyne is working with a number of satellite manufacturers to deliver flight CubeSat propulsion modules.
- In-Space Propulsion Data Sheets
- Modular Propulsion Systems Overview
- CubeSat MPS-121 Modular Propulsion Systems
- June 20, 2019 - NASA to Demonstrate New “Green” Propellant in Space Using Aerojet Rocketdyne Propulsion System
- Aug. 11, 2016 – Aerojet Rocketdyne Signs NASA Contract to Mature Development of MPS-130 CubeSat Modular Propulsion System with Green Propellant
- Aug. 19, 2015 – A Propulsion System for Green Propellant Infusion Mission Completed